The covenant is a promise from the nation to those who serve or have served that they and their families are treated fairly. To become a signatory, Sage made several pledges that support the aims of the covenant, including :
- Supporting the employment of veterans by working with the Career Transition Partnership, the Officers Association and X-Forces to tailor employment pathways for service leavers.
- Granting up to 10 additional paid days annual leave to accommodate mandatory training.
- Giving colleagues who volunteer as Adult Cadet Instructors five days’ entitlement for their annual training.
- Working with X-Forces to support armed forces start-up and scale-up businesses as they develop to reach their potential.
The pledges support Sage’s commitment to help military veterans through the Sage Serving Heroes program. This encompasses their transition into meaningful civilian employment, building professional skills, and starting their own businesses after service.
Sage’s CEO, Stephen Kelly, signed the covenant alongside Defence Minister Lord Howe. Sage’s military veterans, reservists and spouses were present at the event, to celebrate and honour the sacrifices they have made for their country.
Stephen Kelly, CEO, Sage said : “Since we launched Sage Serving Heroes 18 months ago, I’ve had the privilege of meeting many military veterans who have served their country. It’s our honour to serve these heroes as they have served us. We are committed to ensuring that veterans, reservists, and their families, will always be treated fairly by Sage. Signing the Armed Forces Covenant today publicly reinforces this commitment.”
Defence Minister Lord Howe said: “I am extremely proud to announce that Sage have signed up to the Armed Forces Covenant. This is a tangible demonstration of their commitment to our military veterans.
“Veterans are extremely professional and they have transferrable skills that are invaluable in civilian life. They are natural leaders, disciplined, committed, and extremely well trained.
“These attributes are not lost when veterans hand in their uniform, and the vast majority of veterans transfer successfully into civilian life.”
Alongside the covenant, Sage Serving Heroes forms a key pillar of Sage Foundation, which is underpinned by :
· The Sage Military Mentoring Program, which helps veterans transition into digital careers. The program empowers work-based volunteers to mentor veterans transitioning into civilian life, providing them with training to ensure the veteran can excel in a work environment.
· Sage’s multi-year partnership with the Invictus Games, which gives Sage’s volunteers the opportunity to facilitate and experience the Games in action, and relay messages of support and good wishes through Sage’s Wall of Inspiration.
Sage Foundation’s mission is to build a workforce fit for the future, by creating more routes into education, work, and entrepreneurship for young people, women, and military veterans. Through the 2 + 2 + 2 model nonprofit partners benefit from ; 2 % of colleague time made available for volunteering (five days per colleague), up to 2 % of free cash flow in funding and two donated product licenses.
Additional pledges Sage has made to support the aims of the Covenant, include :
- Provide placements and advocate the benefits of recruiting military talent and supporting the Armed Forces.
- Providing free and discounted Non-Regulated Qualifications in Sage Computerised Accounting to graduates of the Amazon Web Services re :Start Program.
- Endeavouring to find alternative employment within the business in another location if they need to relocate to accompany their partner.
- Offering a degree of flexibility in granting leave for Service spouses and partners before, during and after a partner’s deployment.
- Match sponsorship funding raised by employees for military charities in line with company policy