Any kind of business can benefit from using a virtual credit card terminal.
It’s vital you offer customers a convenient and efficient way to make card payments (and other non-cash payments). Using a virtual terminal and payment gateway allows you to do just that. Simply key customer credit card information into a secure web page to process payments safely and quickly.
How virtual terminals and payment gateways work
A virtual terminal is the web version of a physical credit card terminal
or Point-of-Sale (POS) machine. It's a software application hosted online, usually on the service provider’s servers. It can be conveniently accessed from any internet-connected web browser. From here, you’ll have access to an online form to input customer card information.
This is where the payment gateway comes into play. It works alongside the virtual credit card terminal to process, analyse and verify card information. Once authorised, the payment gateway is used to securely transfer funds from the customer's account to your merchant account.
Even businesses that accept face-to-face payments can take advantage of a virtual terminal and avoid the cost of a card swipe terminal.
What you need to know about Sage virtual terminals
With a Sage virtual terminal, you can easily process debit and credit cards as well as electronic checks online. It provides both peace of mind and prompt payments to increase the efficiency of billing and collections. You can also accept payments from your customer's checking account, as well as swipe cards for in-person transactions.
- Security: Data is safeguarded and stored behind our firewall, rather than on your computer.
- Recurring billing: Set up automatic payments directly from your customers’ bank accounts - or charge their credit cards.
- Electronic check processing: Our virtual terminals process electronic checks, saving you a trip to the bank.
- Cost-effective: Sage virtual terminals require no installation or regular software upgrades.
- Extras: Level 3 processing is available for government, corporate, and purchase cards. As a bonus, e-commerce businesses can get a free shopping cart.