Privacy notice and cookies policy
Last updated: May 2022
Please read this privacy notice (“Privacy Notice”) carefully as it describes our collection, use, disclosure, retention, and protection of your personal information. This Privacy Notice applies to any website, application, or service which references this Privacy Notice. Where you provide us with or we collect your personal information in any of the ways described in section 2 below, you agree that we may collect, store, and use it : (a) in order to perform our contractual obligations to you ; (b) based on our legitimate interests for processing (i.e., for internal administrative purposes, data analytics, and benchmarking [see section 3 below for more information], direct marketing, maintaining automated backup systems or for the detection or prevention of crime) ; or (c) based on your consent, which you may withdraw at any time, as described in this Privacy Notice.
This Privacy Notice may be relevant to you even if you are not a customer or direct contact of ours, and have never used a website, application, or service of ours. We may have your personal information because we have received it from a user of a website, application or service of ours.
Brexit: references in this Privacy Notice to “GDPR” will include any “UK GDPR” created by the UK Data Protection Act 2018 on the UK’s exit from the European Union.
1. Who we are
This Privacy Notice applies to all products, applications and services offered by The Sage Group plc (a company incorporated in England with company registration number 2231246 and whose registered office address is C23 5 & 6 Cobalt Park Way, Cobalt Business Park, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, Tyne & Wear, NE28 9EJ), and its affiliates, but excludes any products applications or services that have separate privacy notices which do not incorporate this Privacy Notice.
2. How we collect information
To the extent permissible under applicable law, we collect information about you and any other party whose details you provide to us when you:
- register to use our websites, applications, or services (including free trials); this may include your name (including business name), address, email address, and telephone number. We may also ask you to provide additional information about your business and your preferences;
- place an order using our websites, applications, or services ; this may include your name (including business name), address, contact (including telephone number and email address), and payment details;
- use our applications, which may include the collection of metadata;
- complete online forms (including call back requests), take part in surveys, post on our message boards, post any blogs, enter any competitions or prize draws, download information such as white papers or other publications, or participate in any other interactive areas that appear on our website or within our application or service;
- interact with us using social media;
- provide your contact details to us when registering to use or accessing any websites, applications, or services we make available or when you update those details; and
- contact us offline, for example by telephone, fax, SMS, email, or mail.
We will also collect your information where you only partially complete and/or abandon any information inputted into our website and/or other online forms and may use this information to contact you to remind you to complete any outstanding information and/or for marketing purposes.
We also collect information from your devices (including mobile devices) and applications you or your users use to access and use any of our websites, applications, or services (for example, we may collect the device identification number and type, location information, and connection information such as statistics on your page views, traffic to and from the sites, referral URL, ad data, your IP address, your browsing history, and your web log information). We may do this using cookies or similar technologies (as described in section 11 below).
We may enhance personal information we collect from you with information we obtain from third parties that are entitled to share that information, for example, information from credit agencies, search information providers, or public sources (e.g., for customer due diligence purposes), but in each case as permitted by applicable laws.
Providing us with information about others
If you provide us with personal information about someone else, you are responsible for ensuring that you comply with any obligation and consent obligations under applicable data protection laws in relation to such disclosure. Insofar as required by applicable data protection laws, you must ensure that you have provided the required notices and have obtained the individual’s explicit consent or otherwise have a legal basis to provide us with the information and that you explain to them how we collect, use, disclose, and retain their personal information or direct them to read our Privacy Notice.
3. How we use your information
To the extent permissible under applicable law, we use your information to:
- provide any information and services that you have requested or any applications or services that you have ordered;
- compare information for accuracy and to verify it with third parties;
- provide, maintain, protect, and improve any applications, products, services, and information that you have requested from us;
- manage and administer your use of applications, products, and services you have asked us to provide;
- manage our relationship with you (for example, customer services and support activities);
- monitor, measure, improve, and protect our content, website, applications, and services and provide an enhanced, personal user experience for you;
- undertake internal testing of our website, applications, systems, and services to test and improve their security, provision, and performance, in which case, we would pseudonymize any information used for such purposes, and ensure it is only displayed at aggregated levels which will not be linked back to you or any living individual;
- provide you with any information that we are required to send you to comply with our regulatory or legal obligations;
- comply with any other of our regulatory or legal obligations;
- detect, prevent, investigate, or remediate crime, illegal, or prohibited activities or otherwise protect our legal rights (including liaison with regulators and law enforcement agencies for these purposes);
- contact you to see if you would like to take part in our customer research (for example, feedback on your use of our applications, products and services);
- to monitor, carry out statistical analysis and benchmarking, provided that in such circumstances it is on an aggregated basis which will not be linked back to you or any living individual except as permitted by law;
- deliver targeted advertising, marketing (which may include in-product messaging) or information to you which may be useful to you, based on your use of our applications and services;
- deliver joint content and services with third parties with whom you have a separate relationship (for example, social media providers); and
- provide you with location- based services (for example, advertising and other personalized content), where we collect geolocation data.
To the extent permitted by applicable law, we retain information about you after the closure of your Sage account, if your application for a Sage account is declined or if you decide not to proceed. This information will be held and used for as long as permitted for legal, regulatory, fraud prevention and legitimate business purposes.
Our website, applications (including mobile applications) and services may contain technology that enables us to:
- check specific information from your device or systems directly relevant to your use of the websites, applications or services against our records to make sure the websites, applications or services are being used in accordance with our end-user agreements and to troubleshoot any problems;
- obtain information relating to any technical errors or other issues with our website, applications and services;
- comply with our legal or regulatory obligations;
- collect information about how you and users use the functions of the features of our website, applications and services; and
- gather statistical information about the operating system and environment from which you access our applications or services.
You can manage your privacy settings within your browser or our applications and services (where applicable).
In addition to the purposes described in this section 3, we may also use information we gather to deliver targeted advertising, marketing (including in-product messaging) or information to you which may be useful, based on your use of the website, applications or services or any other information we have about you (depending on the websites, applications or services, you may able to configure these features to suit your preferences). Sections 5 and 6 of this Privacy Notice provides further details on how we will do this.
We may monitor and record our communications with you, including e-mails and phone conversations. Information which we collect may then be used for training purposes, quality assurance, to record details about our website, applications and services you order from us or ask us about, and in order to meet our legal and regulatory obligations generally.
We may obtain information through mobile applications that you or your users install on their mobile devices to access and use our website, applications or services or which you or your users use to provide other services related to that mobile application (for example, to sync information from our application or service with such mobile application). These mobile applications may be our own mobile applications or those belonging to third parties. Where the mobile application belongs to a third party, you must read that third party’s own privacy notice as it will apply to your use of that third party mobile application. We are not responsible for such third party mobile applications and their use of your personal information.
Mobile applications may provide us with information related to a user’s use of that mobile application and use of our applications and services accessed using that mobile application. We may use such information to provide and improve the mobile application or our own application or services. For example, activity undertaken within a mobile application may be logged.
You can configure our mobile application’s privacy settings on your device but this may affect the performance of that mobile application and the way it interacts with our applications and services.
Data analytics and benchmarking
We may use information generated and stored during your use of our services for our legitimate business interests to enable us to give you the best service and/or solutions and the best experience. Because we are committed to innovation, this use of information might involve the use of statistical analysis, benchmarking and forecasting services, predictive analysis and artificial intelligence/machine learning.
For instance we may:
- conduct profiling activities, to evaluate customer segmentation areas/products/services of interest, to adapt our services, support you and personalise the communications we send to you in relation to those services, where permitted by law. This means that we may use the personal data listed above (and specifically data collected using cookies and similar technologies) and centralize it to evaluate and predict your personal preferences and/or interests. Please note that your consent is collected where required by applicable laws. You have the right to object to such use of your personal data in accordance with Section 6 below.
- deliver advertising, marketing (including in-product messaging) or information to you which may be useful to you, based on your use of services;
- carry out research and development to improve our services, products and applications;
- develop and provide new and existing functionality and services (including statistical analysis, benchmarking, insights, receipt recognition and cashflow forecasting services); and
- provide you with location based services (for example location relevant content) where we collect geo-location data to provide a relevant experience.
Please be aware that, in connection with the purposes above, we may use the personal information of your clients, suppliers, employees (all of whom are individuals), and other individuals, whose information you input into any of our websites, products or services.
4. Sharing your information
We may share your information with:
- any company within the Sage Group, for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice, (e.g. global information and customer relationship management; software and service compatibility and improvements; and to provide you with any information, applications, products or services that you have requested);software and service compatibility and improvements; and to provide you with any information, applications, products or services that you have requested);
- our service providers and agents (including their sub-contractors) or third parties which process information on our behalf (e.g. internet service and platform providers, payment processing providers and those organizations we engage to help us send communications to you) so that they may help us to provide you with the applications, products, services and information you have requested or which we believe is of interest to you;partners, including system implementers, resellers, value-added resellers, independent software vendors and developers that may help us to provide you with the applications, products, services and information you have requested or which we believe is of interest to you. We have contracts in place with them. This means that they cannot do anything with your personal data unless we instruct them to do so. They will hold it securely and only retain it for the period we instruct them to;
- other entities may also be controllers of the data we share with them. For example, we may collaborate with academic or research organizations to perform research which is in the public interest or necessary for our own or another organisation’s legitimate interests – for example, to deliver valuable insights to our customers or enable us to improve the service we offer you. In such a case, we will take additional steps to protect your personal data, including pseudonymisation or anonymisation and aggregation, prior to sharing the data. We do this in order to protect the privacy and confidentiality of your data;
- partners, including system implementers, resellers, value-added resellers, independent software vendors and developers that may help us to provide you with the applications, products, services and information you have requested or which we believe is of interest to you;third parties where you have a relationship with that third party and you have consented to us sending information (for example social media sites or other third party application providers);
- third parties used to facilitate payment transactions, for example clearing houses, clearing systems, financial institutions and transaction beneficiaries;third parties used to facilitate payment transactions, for example clearing houses, clearing systems, financial institutions and transaction beneficiaries;regulators to meet Sage Group’s legal and regulatory obligations;
- third parties where you have a relationship with that third party and you have consented to us sending information (for example social media sites or other third party application providers);any third party in the context of actual or threatened legal proceedings, provided we can do so lawfully (for example in response to a court order);
- third parties for marketing purposes (e.g. our partners and other third parties with whom we work and whose products or services we think will interest you in the operation of your business activities. For example, financial services organizations (such as banks, insurers, finance providers), payment solutions providers, software and services providers that provide business solutions);our own and Sage Group professional advisors and auditors for the purpose of seeking professional advice or to meet our audit responsibilities;
- credit reference and fraud prevention agencies;another organization to whom we may transfer our agreement with you; and
- Government bodies, regulators and any other third party necessary to meet Sage Group’s legal and regulatory obligations; We may share non-personally identifiable information about the use of our website, applications, products or services publicly or with third parties but this will not include information that can be used to identify you.
- law enforcement agencies so that they may detect or prevent crime or prosecute offenders;
- any third party in the context of actual or threatened legal proceedings, provided we can do so lawfully (for example in response to a court order);
- any third party in order to meet our legal and regulatory obligations, including statutory or regulatory reporting or the detection or prevention of unlawful acts;
- another organization if we sell or buy (or negotiate to sell or buy) any business or assets;
- another organization to whom we may transfer our agreement with you; and
- Government departments where reporting is mandatory under applicable law.
We may share non-personally identifiable information about the use of our website, applications, products or services publicly or with third parties but this will not include information that can be used to identify you.
We are required by law to provide metadata to HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) when you use a software package or application which is compatible with Making Tax Digital to help you complete and submit tax updates or returns. To find out more about the data sent to HMRC please click